Saturday, October 13, 2012

Accreditation Possible?

This week brought some exciting news for the shelter. First, we were able to obtain health insurance for every single one of our kids, even for those without birth certificates! This was evidence of God's hand at work and of his goodness!

Secondly, we found out that there is a possibility of becoming an accredited school, which would allow the kids that have birth certificates to take national tests in order to advance further in school. The church we attend in Guadalajara runs an English immersion Christian school, and the accreditation would be available if we partnered with them as a branch of their school. I would appreciate prayer for the whole process. Jenny and I sent in our resumes this week, and it is quite possible that we will be receiving a visit from a government representative who will observe us teach. This would truly be a blessing for the kids!

As for day-to-day living, I'm loving the adventure of teaching and learning right along with the kids. I taught both Bible classes in Spanish this week, which stretched me and encouraged me in my Spanish acquisition. My students and I had a good laugh when I accidentally said "the potato told his sons to come" instead of "the father told his sons to come." Yeah...let's just say my Spanish is a work in progress!

A quick prayer request: We've had Chicken Pox passing from child to child for about 3 weeks now. We think we're almost done with it, but currently the two babies have it. Please pray for healing! Thank you so much!

The kids earned a "compliment party" from us this week, something they've been working toward for a long time. So, we celebrated "Wacky Day" on Friday! As part of the festivities, we also dissected two owl pellets (don't worry, we sterilized them) that Jenny and I collected ourselves. What an experience! We discovered a bird beak and its bones in one, and a series of mice skulls and jaws in the other. We continue to use the owl as an educational experience, keeping tabs on the eggs-charting when they will hatch, watching what the owl brings to the nest, etc. SO COOL! I've posted pictures of Wacky Day below!

Wacky teachers (Jenny, myself, and Meredith-the intern who is with us until December)


Owl Pellet #1-bird discovered inside

Owl pellet #2-Mice/other small animal bones discovered



No comments:

Post a Comment