Tuesday, April 30, 2013

My Birthday!

Thanks to everyone who made my birthday extra special this week! I had a chance to Skype with my family and received numerous emails and facebook messages. I felt all of your love and support!

My birthday ended up having an extra twist to it that I did NOT expect. If you don't like gross stories, you may want to skip ahead to the pictures :). And so here the story begins...I awoke early this morning to a very strange sensation in my inner ear. As I came out of my grogginess, it became apparent to me that something was inside my ear. Yes, something alive and moving. I woke up poor Jenny who came to my aid as we tried to flush it out with water, oil, alcohol, you name it. We succeeded in killing it, but were unable to get it out. So...we took a short drive to the clinic in town once it opened and had the doctor look at it. Unfortunately, she didn't have the right tools, so I had to go to the hospital in a neighboring town so that they could extract it. Upon looking in my ear, the doctor told me that he thought it was a cockroach. For those of you who don't know, cockroaches are the ONE thing in the WHOLE world that I cannot stand! They absolutely terrify me. I realize there is no real logic behind this phobia, but I'd rather have a scorpion in the room than a cockroach (I've gotten my wish many a time :). Gripping the table, I tried to fight back a little wave of panic. Ok, a big wave of panic! Many prayers and a long pair of tweezers later, my little friend was disposed of and I was home free! Just so you know, it was NOT a cockroach in the end-just a grain bug!

So, my birthday morning started out quite eventfully. However, I am truly thankful for a number of things. First of all, that neither doctor charged for seeing me. Secondly, that the medicine to help my ear heal was only about $5. Thirdly, that I didn't cause any additional driving as the director was already traveling into the neighboring town for appointments. I came back to the house as a celebrity, answering questions all day long like "Why did the bug go in your ear?" "What did it look like?", etc.

Thankfully, the events that occurred the rest of the day were much more birthday-like. I had a wonderful celebration with more presents than anyone could ever wish for! They made me a special lunch of my choice (no easy task in a house of 30 people)! The best presents, however, were the stack of cards that the kids wrote for me and the cake that one of the teen girls created for me! Check out the pictures below!

Some excellent quotes from the day:
-"Maestra Amber, you're almost 100!-from a 7-year old
-"Maestra Amber, we all know you had a hard time this morning, but remember it's still your birthday!...Just trust in the Lord in hard times and good times."-written in the 10-year-old's card to me
-"Maestra Amber-you're too old!"-from a 7-year-old
-"Maestra Amber-I like it when you smile 'cause your cheeks puff up!"-from an 8-year-old


My hospital visit!
My amazing cake and presents! (I love owls!) 




I'm slightly addicted to Cheetos...



A special birthday meal from my wonderful roommates!

Jenny and Kylie made strawberry/nutella crepes for my birthday breakfast!


Our teen small group threw a mini-celebration for me at night when I thought all the festivities were already over! I was so spoiled!

A beautiful sunset to end off the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment