Thursday, April 11, 2013

Recent Happenings

As always, a lot is going on around here! The weather is starting to warm up, but it is always deliciously cool in the mornings and evenings.

Spring Break
We took a few days off school to celebrate Holy Week. The first day, we took the kids on a picnic to a small grassy spot by the "presa" (pond). So...we loaded up the donkey (Dixie) with our food items, and started on our merry way! The kids each took turns riding Dixie and, of course, I brought my volleyball! I've posted pictures below!


Over Easter weekend, Kylie, Jenny, and I had the wonderful opportunity to take a Spring Break in the city. We stayed at a hotel and just relaxed in every way possibly. It was an amazing time of renewal, catching up on Skype with friends and family, reading, spending time reflecting and praying, etc. As much as the break was nice, I was excited to return last week to dive in again!

Mission Team
A mission team from Florida has been ministering in Camichines this week. They have set up an eye clinic, where members of the community can come and get an eye exam done for a little less than $5. If needed, they were given frames and reading glasses at extremely low costs as well as free sunglasses. Around 300 people from the village were blessed by their work!

School
This week has been a pretty standard week, working our way through the curriculum as we begin wrapping up the school year. I can't believe how fast time flies! We started talking about our end-of-the-year program, as well as the end-of-the-year piano recital. It has been a joy to see how far my piano students have come in a year. They are all different ages and levels, but are working hard!

The Small Things...
I'm learning to bask in the small things, to recognize the little gifts that God gives us each moment of the day. It's amazing how focusing on these gifts this can lift my spirit immensely and take my focus off my workload or my exhaustion. Some of the small things God has blessed me with this week:
  • Sitting outside playing guitar with a small crowd of delighted children listening and singing along
  • Being "mobbed" by eager students every time I walk across the courtyard
  • Hearing "Maestra Amber" hundreds of times a day
  • Finding notes on my desk with phrases like "best teacher ever :)" 
  • Finding little candies on my desk by students eager to share 
  • Quote from yesterday: "You silly teacher! I just want to keep you forever!" 
  • Watching the sun set over the mountains 
  • Hearing students quote memorized Scripture 
  • Seeing students make connections from the Scripture to their own lives 
  • Being HERE! 
Thank you, Lord, for granting me the blessing of being here! 

Preparing sandwiches for the picnic!
Spending time out with the animals while we picked up Dixie.
Picking up Dixie
Loading up Dixie!

Miss Kylie's first time on Dixie!

Food, hanging out, and volleyball! Not much better than this! 
Our wonderful pool rooftop at the hotel! 
Enjoying a wonderful breakfast at our hotel
Outdoor track on the roof of our hotel! We loved to go running as the sun was setting over the city!

Fun at recess!





No comments:

Post a Comment