Thursday, September 6, 2012

Different Kinds of Beauty

The beauty of serving hearts...

I can tell life is never going to be dull here! This week, a mission team from Pennsylvania came and has been building bookshelves for a future library, helping us hook electricity up in our schoolroom, and taking the bulk of the childcare role. It is such an amazing experience to be on the other end, to receive the rest that comes with people willing to throw themselves into intense service for a week in order to give us a break.

The beauty of a child's eagerness...


These children eat up our instruction like water! I read a devotion to the class this morning encouraging kids to read their Bible little by little every day to start up a habit and after school I walked down to discover one of my students sitting on the couch reading the Bible. Upon seeing me, the student asked, "Maestra Amber, how many verses do I read at a time? I'm trying to do what you read about this morning."

On a fun note, I mentioned my love of birds in class a couple days ago and the students have been obsessed with birds ever since! Today, if you can believe it, I walked outside to find that the older boys had been birdwatching for at least half an hour in the front yard with binoculars. One had even made drawings of the ones they had seen so he could show me! :)

The beauty of God's rescue... 

One of the children was asked today to thank God for something, to which came the reply: "I'm thankful that I have a family here." The adult mentioned that the child had a family before they had come to the shelter and heard the following response: "Yeah, but they didn't love me." What a powerful picture this was, not only of the effectiveness of this ministry, but of our own spiritual rescue in the Lord! 

The beauty of creation...

I thought I would share a couple pictures of the amazing landscape around the children's shelter. I'm certainly drinking in God's creation everyday! 





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Bible-reading and bird-watching stories! Such powerful examples of the influence you and Jenny have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber~ I love hearing what God is doing through you and through the children and people you are serving. It's evident God is working things together so perfectly. Praise the Lord that He's got the wonderful plan all set out. Miss you sister.

    ReplyDelete