Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mexican Independence Day!

This week was/is the week of celebrations! September 16th was Mexico's Independence Day, so we had a fun visit from a group of ladies from our church in Guadalajara. They brought traditional Mexican dresses and suits for the kids, gave a presentation on the history of the independence, made us a meal, and played games for a few hours! They also brought a new store of supplies for the house. They were such a blessing! I have attached some pictures below. 

We also celebrated three birthdays in the house (Jenny's is on Saturday) and are preparing for a big corn harvest celebration on Sunday. 

One of the joys I have had while being down here is the opportunity to teach the Bible to my students. I currently teach Bible to the kindergarteners and first graders. Because some of them do not speak strong English yet, I teach the class in Spanish. There are five of them and some of them have never heard these stories before. I started with creation, and then moved on into teaching about the fall. God never ceases to amaze me through the children I teach. One student asked me: "Who created God?" "Will God ever die?" And in response to hearing that the serpent deceived Eve, she asked: "Why did God create the serpent?" Yeah...try answering those for the mind of a six year old :). But I LOVE it because they are truly thinking and pondering the meaning behind the stories.  I had the exciting opportunity to share the gospel story with them this week. As you can imagine, that left me a little nervous since I wanted to be sure I was communicating clearly in Spanish! I prayed for God's help and I could definitely tell he met me with the words and the tools that I needed. Pictures speak volumes :).  I wish I could have shared the intense concern on their little faces when they saw the pictures of Christ's hands nailed to the cross or their rapt attention when they heard about Christ raising from the dead. I'm truly experiencing Jesus' words: "Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."-Matthew 18:4

My precious little Bible class above and our wonderful Independence Day celebration below!












Authentic churros-think deep-fried cinnamon bliss! A man who makes churros in the market donated his time and amazing skills to make them for all the kids. Apparently, these were the best churros anyone had ever had!




4 comments:

  1. Somehow I missed that you had a blog! I just read the whole thing, and loved every word. Thank you for sharing your ministry with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing how God's moving. Love you sister. Prayers coming your way constantly for you and the children :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement Lois and Jackie!! I appreciate your support so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Churros!!! Oh my goodness, I had my first one last fall at Disneyland in California. I'm sure yours were even more delicious because they were freshly made. I really appreciate you sharing your ministry with all of us. You are in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete